Rain Wins the Day in Goulburn

Rain Wins the Day in Goulburn

11216234_467975483358883_484042560305070520_oThe first of multiple thunderstorms to hit Goulburn on Saturday was enough to bring the opening round of the 2016 Motor Racing Australia series to a premature end.

Thankfully, only two races were lost from the program, in what was a very entertaining day of racing at Wakefield Park.

The Mazda Mx5 Challenge and Superkarts had Race 4 abandoned, while Super TT’s deciding race was red-flagged and subsequently abandoned before the race could be classified, and therefore, the race was declared a non-event.

This resulted in some other slight changes as well. As many regulars of the series would know, the distribution of trophies goes off the results of the final race of the day. In this case, due to the unforeseen circumstances, the trophies were awarded based on the results of Race 3 for Super TT, the MX5’s and Superkarts.

3G1A1602_printBefore the rain, as I said, a very entertaining day of racing was enjoyed by all at the 2.2km circuit just outside Goulburn.

The Mini’s however, were back at Wakefield, and did get to run their allotted ‘Trophy Race’, and in the absence of Linda Devlin, John Walker started the day nicely, and unchallenged for victory in race 1, but Charlie Borg fought back after a disappointing opening race, to win the remaining three races, by seven, three and five seconds respectively from Walker. Andrew Robinson took third place.

The Mazda MX5 Cup was a battle between the heavyweights, as Luke Otten and Daniel Deckers left the rest of the field to battle for third.

r0_0_3424_1720_w1200_h678_fmaxMuch to our surprise, Daniel Deckers didn’t have it all his own way as we’ve become accustomed to in the past, asLuke Otten managed to win all three races on Saturday, with Deckers finishing second in all three of the races, which were just five laps in length – the sprint races were just that at the opening round of the series. Third place went to Stuart McFadyen, and Carl Kosutar was fourth, in what was a fine performance, as he worked his way through the field all day long to finish there, after Qualifying in last position.

The pace from Luke Otten was exceptional. It was a Deckspeed 1-2, and they’d be happy with how those cars are running ahead of the Wakefield 300 on February 21.

jb-wakefield-4John Pellicano made lightning starts to all three Superkart races, but mechanical failures would plague his progress in all three races. He retired from two, and was last to finish in the third.

Mark Robin and Aaron Gogger battled it out for victory honours, with each driver tasting success, but it was Robin who claimed first in the race that counted, ahead of Lou Vella, with Gogger rounding out the podium.

The Super TT field was massive, as it usually is in January, and as expected, the category provided some great action for those who were braving the changing conditions trackside.

In the third race, which would eventually be the one that would decide the day, it was Glenn Simmons grabbing a surprise win from Matthew Bloem and Daniel Kapetanovic, who was a consistent performer right throughout the day.

1149035_10151827199667138_987749101_nParry Anastakis was the unlucky one in Super TT. He surprised the field by winning the opening two races, but a spin on a slippery track at the start of Race 3 ruined his day. He came back to finish 4th, but was relegated to 6th, as the race went one lap longer than it was originally scheduled, and in fairness to all competitors, the results were reverted back to how they crossed the line at the end of Lap 5, and that worked in favour of Geoff Stockley, who didn’t complete the sixth lap.

The fourth race was abandoned after the red-flag was flown on lap four, for the stranded car of John Taylor, who found the gravel trap at turn 2. By that point, the rain was teaming down, and like all gravel traps in that sort of weather, the Wakefield one became a bog, and there was no way he was getting out of it without some assistance.

So, a disappointing end to what was otherwise a very entertaining day of racing in Goulburn. Obviously, safety does come first, but it is frustrating for competitors and spectators alike, when racing is lost in those circumstances.

The good news out of the premature end to the day, is that all cars went home in one piece. Apart from a couple of cars getting stuck deep in the gravel trap, there were no crashes to speak of, and that’s a great thing.

The next round of the series is back at Wakefield Park on May 22. We look forward to seeing you there.

Leave a Comment